Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Naegele JR and Held R (1982) The postnatal development of monocular optokinetic nystagmus in infants. Vision Research 22:341-346.
- Birch EE, Gwiazda J, Bauer J, Naegele JR, and Held R (1983) Visual acuity and its meridional variations in children aged 7-60 months. Vision Research 23:1019-1024.
- Arimatsu Y, Naegele JR, Barnstable CJ (1987) Molecular markers of neuronal subpopulations in layers 4, 5 and 6 of cat primary visual cortex. J Neurosci 7:1250-1263.
- Naegele JR, Arimatsu Y, Schwartz P, and Barnstable CJ (1988) Selective staining of a subset of GABAergic neurons in cat visual cortex by monoclonal antibody VC1.1. J Neurosci 8:79-89.
- Naegele JR, Jhaveri S, and Schneider GE (1988) Sharpening of topographical projections and maturation of geniculocortical axon arbors in the hamster. J Comp Neurol 277:593-607.
- Naegele JR and Katz LC (1990) Cell surface molecules containing N-acetylgalactosamine are associated with basket and neurogliaform cells in cat visual cortex. J Neurosci 10:540-557.
- Zaremba S, Naegele JR, Barnstable CJ, and Hockfield S (1990) Multiple high molecular weight surface glycoconjugates defined by monoclonal antibodies Cat-301 and VC1.1. J Neurosci 10:2985-2995.
- Naegele JR, Barnstable CJ, and Wahle PR (1991) Transient expression of a unique 56 kDa polypeptide by neurons in the subplate zone of the developing cerebral cortex. PNAS (USA) 88:330-334.
- Naegele JR and Barnstable CJ (1991) A carbohydrate epitope defined by monoclonal antibody VC1.1 is found on N-CAM and other cell adhesion molecules. Brain Research 559: 118-129.
- Barnstable CJ, Kosaka T, Naegele JR and Arimatsu Y (1992) Molecular properties of GABAergic local-circuit neurons in the mammalian visual cortex. Mize, R.R. Marc, R.E. and Sillito, A.M., Eds; GABA in the Retina and Central Visual System. Prog in Brain Res Vol. 90: 503-522.
- Lombroso PJ, Naegele JR, Sharma E, and Lerner M (1993) A protein tyrosine phosphatase expressed within dopaminoceptive neurons of the basal ganglia and related structures. J. Neurosci. 13:3064-3074.
- Wahle P, Lubke J and Naegele JR (1994) Inverted pyramidal neurons and interneurons in cat cortical subplate zone are labeled by monoclonal antibody SP-1. Eur J Neurosci 6: 1167-1178.
- During MJ, Naegele JR, O’Malley K and Geller AI (1994) Long-term behavioral recovery in the rat model of Parkinson’s Disease by intrastriatal injection of a HSV-1 vector expressing tyrosine hydroxylase. Science 266:1399-1403.
- Boulanger L, Lombroso PJ, Raghunathan A, During MJ, Wahle PR, and Naegele JR (1995). Cellular and molecular characterization of a brain-enriched protein tyrosine phosphatase. J Neurosci 15:1532-1544.
- Bult A, Naegele JR, Sharma E and Lombroso PJ (1995). Identifying and characterizing protein tyrosine phosphatases in the brain. NeuroProtocols 6:91-104.
- Dunn JA, Kirsch J and Naegele JR (1995) Transient immunoglobulin-like molecules are present in the subplate zone and cerebral cortex during postnatal development. Cerebral Cortex. 5:494-505.
- Raghunathan A, Matthews GA, Lombroso PJ and Naegele JR (1996) Transient compartmental expression of a protein tyrosine phosphatase in developing striatum. Dev Brain Res 91:190-199.
- Spicer SS, Naegele JR, and Schulte BA (1996) Differentiation of glycoconjugates localized to sensory terminals and selected sites in brain. J Comp Neurology 365:217-231.
- Bult A, Zhao F, Dirkz R, Sharma E, Lukacsi E, Solimena M, Naegele JR, and Lombroso P (1996). STEP61: A new member of a family of brain-enriched PTPs is targeted to the endoplasmic reticulum. J Neurosci 16:7821-7831.
- Upender MB, Dunn JA, Wilson SM, and Naegele JR (1997) Immunoglobulin molecules are present in early-generated neuronal populations in the rat cerebral cortex and retina. J Comp Neurology 384:271-282.
- Upender MB and Naegele JR (1999) Activation of microglia during developmentally regulated cell death in the cerebral cortex. Developmental Neuroscience 21:491-505.
- Vemuri M, Schiller E, and Naegele JR (2001) Elevated DNA double strand breaks and apoptosis in the CNS of SCID mutant mice. Cell Death and Differentiation 8:245-255.
- Chechlacz M, Vemuri M, and Naegele JR (2001) Role of DNA-dependent protein kinase in neuronal survival. J Neurochem 77:1-15.
- Gilliams-Francis K, Quaye, A and Naegele JR (2003) PARP cleavage, DNA fragmentation, and pyknosis during excitotoxin-induced neuronal death. Exper Neurol 184:359-372.
- Narasimhaiah R, Tuchman A, Lin SL, Naegele JR (2005) Oxidative damage and defective DNA repair is linked to apoptosis of migrating neurons and progenitors during cerebral cortex development in Ku70-deficient mice. Cerebral Cortex 15:696-707.
- Neema M, Navarro-Quiroga I, Chechlacz M, Gilliams-Francis K, Liu J, LaMonica K, Lin S, and Naegele JR (2005) DNA damage and non-homologous end-joining in excitotoxicity: neuroprotective role of DNA-Pkcs in kainic acid-induced seizures. Hippocampus 15:1057-1071.
- Navarro-Quiroga I, Hernandez-Valdes M, Lin S, Naegele JR (2006) Postnatal cellular contributions of the hippocampal subventricular zone to the dentate gyrus, corpus callosum, fimbria and cerebral cortex. J Comp Neurology 497:833-845.
- Choi Y-S, Lin SL, Lee B, Kurup P, Cho H-Y, Naegele JR, Lombroso PJ, Obrietan K (2007) Status epilepticus-induced somatostatinergic hilar interneuron degeneration is regulated by striatal enriched protein tyrosine phosphatase. J Neurosci 27:2999-2009.
- Carpentino JE, Hartman N, Grabel LB, Naegele JR (2008) Region specific differentiation of ES-derived neural progenitor transplants in the adult mouse hippocampus following seizures. J Neurosci Res 86:512-524.
- Choi Y-S, Cho H-Y, Hoyt KR, Naegele JR, Obrietan K (2008) Status epilepticus induced neuronal stem cell proliferation is stimulated by sequential waves of NMDA- and IGF-1 receptor-mediated ERK/MAPK signaling. Glia 56:791-800.
- Liu J, Naegele JR, Lin, SL (2009) DNA-dependent protein kinase catalytic subunit regulates Bax-mediated excitotoxic neuronal death by Ku70 phosphorylation. Brain Research 1296:164-175.
- Hartman NW, Carpentino JE, LaMonica K, Mor DE, Naegele JR, Grabel L (2010) CXCL12-Mediated Guidance of Migrating Embryonic Stem Cell-Derived Neural Progenitors Transplanted into the Hippocampus. PLoS One. 2010 Dec 31;5 (12):e15856.
- Briggs SW, Walker J, Asik K, Lombroso P, Naegele J, Aaron G. (2011) STEP regulation of seizure thresholds in the hippocampus. Epilepsia. Mar; 52(3):497-506.
- Maisano X, Litvina E, Tagliatela S, Aaron GB, Grabel LB, Naegele JR (2012). Differentiation and functional incorporation of embryonic stem cell derived GABAergic interneurons in the dentate gyrus of mice with temporal lobe epilepsy. J Neurosci Jan 4; 32(1):46-61.
- Germain N, Hartman N, Becker S, Cai C, Naegele JR, Grabel LB (2012). Teratoma formation in embryonic stem cell-derive neural progenitor hippocampal transplants. Cell Transplant. 21(8):1603-1611.
- Goebel-Goody S, Wilson-Wallis E, Royston S, Tagliatela S, Naegele JR, Lombroso P (2012) Genetic manipulation of STEP reverses behavioral abnormalities in a Fragile X syndrome mouse model. Genes Brain Behav. 11(5):586-600.
- Germain ND, Banda EC, Naegele JR, Grabel LB (2013) Derivation and isolation of NKX2.1-positive basal forebrain progenitors from human embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells and Development. March 5 (Epub ahead of print).
- Naegele JR and Lombroso P (1994) Protein tyrosine phosphatases in the Nervous System. Critical Rev in Neurobiology 9:105-114.
- Naegele JR and Barnstable CJ (1989) Molecular determinants of GABAergic local circuit neurons in the cerebral cortex. Trends in Neuroscience 12:28-34.
- Naegele JR and Lombroso PJ (2001) Genetics of Central Nervous System developmental disorders. In (Todd, R. Ed.) Genetic Contributions to Early-Onset Psychopathology; Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America 10:225-239.
- Chechlacz M and Naegele JR (2002) Genetics of childhood disorders: XL. Stem cell research, part 4: neural horticulture. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 41:882-885.
- Naegele JR (2007) Neuroprotective strategies to avert seizure-induced neurodegeneration in epilepsy. Epilepsia, 48 (Supplement 2):1-11.
- Maisano X, Carpentino J, Becker S, Lanza R, Aaron G, Grabel G, Naegele JR (2009). Embryonic stem cell derived neural precursor grafts for treatment of temporal lobe epilepsy Neurotherapeutics 6(2):263-77.
- Naegele JR (2009) Epilepsy and the plastic mind. Epilepsy Currents 9(6): 166-169.
- Naegele JR (2010) Westward Ho! Pioneering mouse models for X-linked infantile spasms syndrome. Epilepsy Currents 10(1): 24-7.
- Naegele JR, Maisano X, Yang J, Royston S, Ribeiro E. (2010) Recent advancements in stem cell and gene therapies for neurological disorders and intractable epilepsy. Neuropharmacology 58(6): 855-864.
- Naegele JR (2010) Trekking through the telencephalon: hepatocyte growth factor-mediated guidance for parvalbumin-expressing interneurons. Epilepsy Currents 10(4): 100-102.
- Naegele JR, Vemuri MC, Studer L (2010) Embryonic stem cell therapy for intractable epilepsy. Epilepsia 51: 93.
- Naegele JR (2011) Tangled roots: digging deeper into astrocyte or interneuron dysfunction in temporal lobe epilepsy. Epilepsy Currents 11(1): 27-9.
- Naegele JR (2011) Should I stay or should I go? Epilepsy Currents11(4): 123-4.
- Naegele JR (2012) CLC-3: A quantum leap in understanding mechanisms of GABA release. Epilepsy Currents. Jan;12(1):17-8.
- Naegele JR (2012) SAVAs: Molecular snipers for silencing GABAergic interneurons. Epilepsy Currents. Nov;12(6):216-217.
1. Naegele JR and Held R (1983) Development of optokinetic nystagmus and the effects of abnormal visual experience during infancy. In: Jeannerod M, and Hein A (eds.) Spatially Guided Behavior. Springer-Verlag, pp. 155-174.
2. Upender M and Naegele JR (1996) Preparation and growth of embryonic neurons in tissue culture. In: Neuroscience Methods (D.G. Blackburn, ed.). Trinity College Press, Hartford, CT.
3. Naegele JR and Maisano X (2010) Gene and stem cell therapies for treating epilepsy. Epilepsy: Mechanisms, Models, and Translational Perspectives, CRC Press. Rho JM, Sankar R, Stafstrom CE (Eds.). pp 589-608
4. Hartman NW, Grabel LB, Naegele JR (2010). Migration of transplanted neural stem cells in experimental models of neurodegenerative diseases. Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine. Appasani K (Ed.) Springer Science.
5. Naegele JR, Vemuri MC, Studer L (2012). Embryonic stem cell therapy for intractable epilepsy. Jasper’s Basic Mechanisms of the Epilepsies. Noebels, J, Avoli M, Rowgawski M, Olsen R, Delgado-Escueta AV (Eds).